Contact Us Enrollment Our staff Site Management Team School Charter History Dashboard
Life at Linscott You Have a Voice SAFETY AT LINSCOTT Afterschool Programs Breakfast / Lunch Programs Forms Newsletter Student Discipline
How We Work Emergency Procedures Parent Participation Pick-up/Drop-off Dress Code
Ongoing Fundraisers
Classrooms Quick View Hummingbird Hall Rainbow Room Heart Room Discovery Room Phoenix Hall Exploration Station Treehouse Research Room Fox Landing Lion's Lair

History

History

In 1986, the original structure of Linscott was created by four parents who had children graduating from the Watsonville Cooperative Preschool. These parents wanted to continue their children’s education in an environment that supported parent participation in all aspects of schooling - governance, classroom help, teaching, student supervision, etc. Linscott became a parent participation magnet school within the Pajaro Valley Unified School District.

 

In 1992, with the passage of the California Charter School Law, interested community members were allowed to create innovative educational programs and apply to their local school districts for charter status. Linscott’s original charter was approved in October of 1993, with students attending for the first time in the fall of 1994. Initially, Linscott served 140 students in a K-5 program with required weekly participation by parents and a governance model that included staff and parents.

 

In the 1995-96 school year, 6th and 7th grades were added, followed by 8th grade in 1996-97. Linscott currently serves approximately 275 students in grades K-8. Our charter was renewed in 2008, 2013, and is up for renewal in 2018. Although our class structure and parent participation requirements have been revised to be more inclusive, our commitment to high quality education and a parent’s place in that process have remained the same.

 

John W. Linscott

John William Linscott was born in Lincoln County, Maine in 1848, and arrived in the Pajaro Valley in 1869, after several years of teaching near his home. He continued teaching in the Pajaro Valley and was elected principal of the Watsonville city schools in 1872. Mr. Linscott was elected county superintendent in 1884, but continued to serve in both the local and county posts until 1890. In 1904 Mr. Linscott was named superintendent of the Santa Cruz city schools and principal of the high school there. He served in that capacity until he retired in 1922. 

 

Photos